Martin Fowler generously invited me to contribute a new article to his website, Goto Fail, Heartbleed, and Unit Testing Culture. It will be published in several installments before appearing in its entirety. Not only am I grateful to Martin for such an incredible opportunity, and for his editorial vision and guidance throughout the development of this article, but also to the many reviewers who’ve helped me improve it greatly thanks to their many corrections, suggestions, challenges, and insights. Though my name is in the by line, there’s no way this article could’ve been written without this tremendous team effort.
I’ve created a detailed list of prior work that contributed to the development of the article. These are the Google+ threads pertaining to each installment:
- First Installment: Intro and goto fail
- Second Installment: Heartbleed
- Third Installment: The Costs and Benefits of a Unit Testing Culture
- Fourth Installment: Other Useful Tools and Practices
- Fifth Installment: Google’s Retrofitted Testing Culture, or: Déjà Vu All Over Again
- Sixth and Final Installment: How to Change a Culture, Final Thoughts, and appendix